Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Guerrilla Season Book Blog

In searching for student blogging projects, I came back to Eric Langhorst and his 8th grade students at South Valley Jr. High in Liberty, MO. Eric created a Guerrilla Season, by Pat Hughes, Book Blog for his students to discuss and reflect on their feelings as they read the book. I like the way he has given their comments to us to read. I'm assuming the students have their own private classroom book blog and Eric has chosen comments to share publicly. I like this, and think it would work well with my book groups. For 3-D-1, I sent a post to Eric's email and he responded with a comment to this post. If you follow the URL he gives in his comment, he explains the process he used to get his Book Blog rolling. Thanks to Eric!

I also ran across this article in the September issue of Edutopia. It has an example of a blog lesson plan which you might find helpful if you are working on 3-D-2!

3 comments:

Eric Langhorst said...

Thanks so much for posting about our project. It is a blast and one of the best things about the project is that parents and community members join us for the discussion. We will be replicating the project again this school year in February of 2008. If anyone would like to join us please e-mail me at speakingofhistory.blogspot.com

I also wrote an article for School Library Journal magazine describing how we set up the book blog project if anyone would like to replicate the project with their own book : http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6395089.html

Thanks again and have a great school year!

Eric Langhorst
www.speakingofhistory.blogspot.com

Lee Anne said...

Pam, how wonderful that you are making connections like this.

Way to build that network!

Lee Anne

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful idea. In the past when I have tried to have students discuss books, I had them do it on my wikispace, but I feel like this makes so much more sense. I can't wait to start looking into this project more and thinking about how I can use it in my classroom. This seems like something that could be used as part of a summer reading project so that students can get some guidance as they are reading. Thank you for finding this and sharing it on your blog. - Jaclyn Cresswell